Spiced Chicken with Birch Syrup BBQ Sauce Recipe
What better way to celebrate your anniversary than by creating an entirely new spice mix perfectly blended for grilling? That’s exactly what our Great Canadian Griller Recipe Contest runner-up Alan McLauchlan and his wife did for their 38th anniversary, and now we’re excited to pass on the recipe for their delicious spice blend to every griller!
Alan’s Anniversary spice blend isn’t just for special occasions – It’s the perfect mix of spicy and savoury for any cookout, whether you’re grilling for two or twenty.
Here’s how to make Alan’s Anniversary Spiced Chicken with Birch Syrup BBQ sauce:
Spiced Chicken with Birch Syrup BBQ Sauce
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp of basil
- 1 tbsp of thyme
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of parsley
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of dill
- 50 ml of Rocky Lake Birchworks Pure birch syrup
- 1 tbsp of chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp of chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp of ketchup
- Mix all the spices together and liberally season all sides of the chicken. Place the chicken into a container, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
- Prior to grilling, mix sauce ingredients to create the Birch Syrup BBQ sauce.
- Preheat grill to about 450°F.
- Place seasoned drumsticks on the grill and flip once after 5-7 minutes.
- Grill the second side of the drumstick for another 5-7 min, and baste one side with the BBQ sauce.
- Flip after a 2-3 min and baste the other side.
- Remove when the internal temperature reaches 190°F.
- Once done, take the drumsticks off the barebcue. Let them rest for about 10 minutes and serve with your favourite side. Chef recommends a bed of Manitoba wild rice!