Peachy Grilled Chicken Breast Recipe
Peach season is just around the corner! In Canada, peach season lasts from July till September, so you can look forward to enjoying those plump, golden morsels of freshness all summer long.
Canadians know there’s nothing like biting into a juicy peach. Peaches are often eaten fresh or served simply with ice cream or in a crisp or crumble, but they’re also a great addition to savoury meals. Never cooked with peaches? It’s easy. Keep these tips in mind:
- If you don’t like their fuzzy skin, wash your peaches. Washing them removes most of the fuzz.
- The skin can also become tough when cooked. Remove it by blanching your peaches in boiling water for one minute, then immediately plunging them in cold water to stop the cooking process. Don’t let the peaches soak. The skin should immediately slide off easily.
- Like apples, peaches will darken with exposure to air. If you aren’t planning on using them immediately, dip your peaches in an acidic juice like lemon or pineapple juice to protect the colour.
Explore the savoury side of peaches with this recipe for peach grilled chicken breast. It combines the rich flavour of peach preserves with a side of – you guessed it – grilled peaches, making it the perfect dish for your next summer cookout.
Peachy Grilled Chicken Breast
- 1 cups peach preserves or jam
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 small jalapeno, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 ripe peaches, pitted and cut in eighths
- Combine the peach preserves, olive oil, soy sauce, mustard, garlic and jalapeno in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Put aside a ¼ cup.
- Preheat the grill on high for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to medium.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken skin-side down and cook until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Turnover and continue grilling for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Brush both sides with the peach glaze and continue cooking until done, an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place the peach pieces on the grill and grill for 1 minute on each side.
- Take out remaining ¼ cup of peach glaze put aside in first step. Brush each side, and grill until the peaches are soft (about 3 to 4 more minutes).