Mediterranean New York Strip Steak with Pepper Medley Recipe
Start spreading the news! New York Strip steak is the perfect dish for late summer grilling.
Strip steak is cut from the short loin. This muscle isn’t heavily worked, which is why strip steak is one of the most flavourful cuts you can grill. That’s why this cut pairs so well with other strong flavours like peppers!
Perhaps surprisingly, New York Strip steak doesn’t actually have much to do with the city that never sleeps. New York Strip steak got its name from the famous Delmonico’s Restaurant, which opened in NYC in 1827. Delmonico’s “Delmonico steak” was one of their signature dishes, and it was cut from – you guessed it – the short loin.
Grill your own New York Strip steak with a delicious pepper medley on the side with our easy recipe:
Mediterranean New York Strip Steak with Pepper Medley
- 4 x 12 oz New York strip steaks
- 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried and hand-crushed
- 1 tbsp minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 tsp finely ground coffee
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 sweet red peppers cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 green peppers cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 yellow peppers cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 hot banana pepper or jalapeño pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced fresh parsley
- Preheat on high.
- Combine rosemary, thyme, coffee, salt and pepper in small mixing bowl to create a dry rub.
- Rub the steaks all over with the dry rub, being careful to cover every crevice.
- Sear steak on both sides for a minute on high, and then reduce heat and grill to desired doneness over medium heat.
- Remove steaks from grill and allow to rest 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in sauce pan.
- Top each steak with 1 tablespoon butter and serve with grilled peppers.
In large skillet or wok, use your side burner to heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion, garlic, salt and pepper until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
Add sweet and hot peppers; cover and cook, stirring occasionally until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
Toss with parsley and serve with steak.
- In a sauce pan heat oil over medium heat; sauté onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and banana pepper until onion is softened, for about 6 minutes.
- Grill the red, yellow and green peppers directly on grill on medium heat until clear sear marks are seen.
- Remove peppers from grill, and mix with oil mixture in a bowl.
- Toss with parsley and serve with steak.